1799 - 1877 (77 years)
||Mary ANDERSON |
||08 Sep 1799
||Johnstone, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
||01 Jan 1877
||Fulton County, IN
||Leiters Ford IOOF Cemetery, Leiters Ford, Fulton County, IN
- (1) Elizabeth Ann Grubb:
Until Dec. 1993, very little was known about Mary (ANDERSON) GILCHRIST except that she was born in SCOTLAND; married James GILCHRIST in Jefferson Co. in 1826; gave birth to 2 sons, James and Thomas and a daughter, probably named Janet or Jennett, and died on 01 Jan 1877.
In response to a query published in the "Genealogical Helper Magazine," contact was established with Virginia Korns, a descendent of Mary's younger brother, Thomas ANDERSON. Through correspondence with Mrs. KORNS, compiler established contact with John M. ANDERSON, a descendent of Mary's oldest brother. Mr. ANDERSON has not only done extensive research on Mary ANDERSON's family, but has also visited the tenant farm in SCOTLAND where the ANDERSON children were born, and is in the process of writing a book about the family.
We now have documentation that Mary was born in Johnstone Parish, on a farm called West Blackburn, in the county of Dumfries in SCOTLAND on 08 DEC 1799. (Mary's tombstone reads, "Born in SCOTLAND, April 15, 1800.") Mary's parents were Thomas and Elizabeth/Bridget "Betsy" (BECK) ANDERSON. They were tenant farmers on the JOHNSTONE estate. Mary was the eighth of nine children born to the couple there.
Although we are unsure as to exactly when Mary's family immigrated from SCOTLAND, we have evidence that her older brother "Scotch John" was in Greene Co., OH by 1812 when he purchased a quarter-section of land in Jefferson Co. (then Clark Co.) from the U.S. Land Office in Jeffersonville, IN. Evidence points to an approximate arrival in INDIANA of 1818 for Mary, her parents, her sister, Margaret, and the youngest Anderson child, Thomas, who was not born until 1804. There is also evidence that other members of the family came to the Jefferson County area before their parents with the PARK family.
Family tradition, passed on by Mrs. Korns, reports that the parents followed "Scotch John" and other older siblings to the U.S. because the "old folks" did not want to die separated from the rest of the family.
The story continues that once here, the parents became so homesick for SCOTLAND that they grieved themselves to death. Whether this is true or not, the couple died within a short time after they settled in Jefferson County.
Mary was not quite 23 when her parents died, and she did not marry James GILCHRIST until about 4 years later. At the time of her parent's death Young Thomas, about 17, went to the court as an orphan and chose Thomas TAYLOR as his guardian. TAYLOR entered bond of $1000.00. Where Mary lived at this time is not known, nor is the relationship between the ANDERSONs and the TAYLOR family known, but it may be significant that Thomas TAYLOR served as executor for the senior Thomas ANDERSON's will. Also, Elizabeth GILCHRIST, the first born child of James and Mary is buried beside Thomas TAYLOR and his wife in the TAYLOR family plot at the Carmel Cemetery near Hanover, IN.
"NEWSPAPER EXCERPTS", Vol 7, 1877, Fulton Co. Library, Rochester, IN, carries the obituary of Mary (ANDERSON) GILCHRIST on page 137, which reads as follows:
DIED. - On New Year's night, Mrs. GILCHRIST. Her death was caused by old age and infirmity. Mr. and Mrs. GILCHRIST emigrated to this country from SCOTLAND many years ago. By patient toiling they secured for themselves a comfortable home, and lived to a ripe old age. The old gentleman departed this life some two months ago, and she has gone to join him in the better land. Never was a neighborhood blest with more honest, accommodating and useful neighbors than were Mr. and Mrs. GILCHRIST. They died as they had lived, loved and esteemed by all, and are at peace with God and man....
1. Virginia KORNS, 2402 E. Rahn Rd., Kettering, OH 45440; desc. of Thomasand Elizabeth (BECK) ANDERSON via Thomas ANDERSON, Jr.
2. "Register of Births by Proof", Johnstone Schoolhouse, 22 Oct 1801,West Blackburn, Dumfrieshire, Scotland. (Taken from p. 12: "Registerof Births and Baptisms"; Register House, Edinburgh, SCOTLAND; copy provided by John M. ANDERSON, desc. of Thomas and Elizabeth ANDERSON.)
3. Marriage Record Book (1826), Jefferson Co. Clerk's Office, Madison, IN(photocopy owned by compiler).
4. Tombstone Inscription: I.O.O.F. Cem., Leiter's Ford, Fulton County, IN.
5. Records of the Carmel Congregation of the Assoc. Presb. Church,1837-1872. (Records found at Jefferson Co Lib., Madison,IN ; copy owned by compiler)
6. John M. ANDERSON, 3731 E. 104th St. S., Tulsa, OK 74137-5818 (desc. of Thomas and "Scotch John" ANDERSON; author of ANDERSON and BROOKIE family histories; gen. researcher.)
7. "Newspaper Excerpts" Vol. 7, 1877; p. 137; Fulton Co. Lib., Rochester, IN Obituary of Mary (ANDERSON) GILCHRIST (copy owned by compiler.)
8. U.S. Census 1850 IN; Fulton Co.; Rochester Twp.; #103/#103. MF #432-146
9. U.S. Census 1860 IN; Fulton Co.; Rochester Twp.; p. 181; #1131/#1135. MF #653-260.
10. U.S. Census IN 1870; Fulton Co.; Rochester Twp.; p. 34; #257/#257. MF #593-316.
Mary Anderson Gilchrist
Birth: Sep. 8, 1799, Scotland
Death: Jan. 1, 1877, Fulton County, Indiana, USA
Born to tenant farmer Thomas Anderson and wife, Elizabeth (Beck) at Blackstone, Johnstone Parish, Dumfries, SCOTLAND; emigrated to US in 1819; married James Gilchrist in Jefferson County, IN 13 August 1826; migrated to Fulton County, IN about 1846. Mother of James, Jr., Thomas, Jannett, Elizabeth.
Family links: Spouse: James Gilchrist (1799 - 1876); Children: Elizabeth Gilchrist (1829 - 1835), Jennett Gilchrist Campbell (1835 - 1865), Thomas Gilchrist (1839 - 1926)
Burial: Leiters Ford IOOF Cemetery, Leiters Ford, Fulton County, Indiana, USA
Created by: Ann Grubb
Record added: Oct 19, 2005
Find A Grave Memorial# 12099210
||Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
||15 Apr 2017 |
||Thomas ANDERSON, Sr., b. 01 Feb 1754, Scotland , d. 16 Feb 1822, Jefferson County, IN (Age 68 years) |
||Elizabeth BECK, b. Bef 05 Jan 1763, Holywood, Dumfriesshire, Scotland , d. 17 Nov 1821, Jefferson County, IN (Age > 58 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||James GILCHRIST, b. Between 04 Nov 1798 and 04 Nov 1799, Lanarkshire, Scotland , d. 13 Oct 1876, Fulton County, IN (Age ~ 77 years) |
||13 Aug 1826
||Jefferson County, IN 
||13 Aug 1826
||Jefferson County, IN 
| ||1. Jennet GILCHRIST, b. 16 Jun 1835, Jefferson County, IN , d. 04 Oct 1865, Aubbeenaubbee Township, Fulton County, IN (Age 30 years) [Natural]|
| ||2. Thomas GILCHRIST, b. 14 Apr 1839, Jefferson County, IN , d. 26 Apr 1926, Richland Township, Fulton County, IN (Age 87 years) [Natural]|
| ||3. Elizabeth GILCHRIST, b. 25 Jan 1828, Jefferson County, IN , d. 17 Jan 1835, Jefferson County, IN (Age 6 years) [Natural]|
| ||4. James GILCHRIST, b. Abt 1832, Jefferson County, IN , d. Abt 1897, Fulton County, IN? (Age ~ 65 years) [Natural]|
||15 Apr 2017 13:36:21 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- Details: Details: Details: Details: Details: Citation Text: (1) Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959: name: JamesGhilchrist event: Marriage event date: 13 Aug 1826 event place: other event place: registration place: , Jefferson, Indiana, United States marriage license date: 13 Aug 1826 residence: gender: Male age (estimated): number of prior marriages: race: birth date: birthplace: father's name: mother's name: spouse's name: Mary Anderson spouse's residence: spouse's gender: Female spouse's age (estimated): spouse's number of prior marriages: spouse's race: spouse's birth date: spouse's birthplace: spouse's father's name: spouse's mother's name: informant's name: officiator's name: And Isaac page: 68 record number: reference: film number: 000549400 digital folder number: 004714736 image number: 00067 number of images: 1 batch number: M03495-4.