Abt 1832 - Abt 1897 (~ 65 years)
||James GILCHRIST |
||Jefferson County, IN
||Fulton County, IN?
(1) Elizabeth Ann Grubb:
James is the first known son of James and Mary (ANDERSON) GILCHRIST. Family tradition reports that he was born in Jefferson County, IN about 1832. This has been supported by a handwritten note on the inside cover of an old farm ledger belonging to William GILCHRIST, nephew of James, Jr. and grandfather of compiler. In spite of these reports, there is little data confirmed by actual documentation concerning James, Jr.
Although there is no evidence of a son born prior to James, Jr., the 1830 census for Jefferson Co. appears to have a "tally" under the column headed "Males, to 5". Since the GILCHRIST's were married in August, 1826, and their daughter, Elizabeth, is believed to have been born in January, 1828, James was probably not born before Elizabeth. He could have been born between Elizabeth's birth and census enumeration day in 1830; however, it is noted that the census film for that year is extremely hard to read. What appears to be a "tally" may be a scratch or a smear of ink.
Other census records are not consistent as to the age of James, Jr. 1840 census shows one male "To 5" (Thomas, James, Jr.'s brother) and one male "5 to 10". Then in 1850, the age of James. Jr, is reported as 18. In 1860 he is listed as 26 years of age; in 1870 his age is given as "38". James does not appear in the GILCHRIST household after 1870. Compiler has not found him as a member of any other household in Fulton County in 1880 or 1900.
The same handwritten note of William GILCHRIST mentioned above states "Uncle Jim, born in Jefferson Co. in 1832, died in Fulton Co., 1897, age 65." Compiler has not found any death or burial data, except for this note.
In Feb., 1860, James and Mary GILCHRIST conveyed 90 acres to each of their two sons. Another 60 acres was conveyed to their married daughter, Jennet CAMPBELL the following month.
James, Sr. died in October, 1876 and Mary followed him on New Years Day, 1877. Thomas appears as the head of the household on the next census, 23 JUN 1880; James, Jr. was not enumerated in the household at that time.
In November, 1881, James, Jr. and Thomas divided the 180 acres of their land. At that time, James, Jr. was unmarried. In December, 1890, James GILCHRIST, "unmarried, of Fulton County..." conveys his 90 acres back to his brother, Thomas, for "$1.00 and love and affection...hereby reserving to himself a lifetime estate in the above. . .land. . . ."
There is no mention of James again until January, 1895, when he swears an affidavit concerning the conveyance of land in 1845 from James ROBB to James GILCHRIST, Sr. James, Jr.'s age is stated as "sixty" in the affidavit. This is the last documented evidence compiler has found on the life of this son of James and Mary GILCHRIST. Assuming that William GILCHRIST noted the correct information in his ledger, James, Jr. died in Fulton County, IN at 65 years of age in 1897. Apparently, James, Jr. never married. Since he maintained a life estate for himself on the property that he conveyed to his brother, Thomas, James may have chosen to be buried on the GILCHRIST farm. If so, no marker nor any record of such a burial has been discovered (Jan.1996). His parents, his sister, Jennet, Thomas and Phoebe are all buried at the IOOF Cemetery at Leiters Ford. No marker for James has been found in that cemetery or at the IOOF Cemetery in Richland Center, where William and his wife are buried.
1. U.S. Census 1830 IN; Jefferson Co.; "Exclusive of Lancaster Twp.; p. 172/87?. MF #M19-28.
2. U.S. Census 1840 IN; Jefferson Co.; Republican Twp.; p. 397. MF #704-83.
3. U.S. Census 1850 IN; Fulton Co.; Rochester Twp.; #103/#103. MF #432-146.
4. U.S. Census 1860 IN; Fulton Co.; Rochester Twp.; p. 181; #1131/1135. MF #653-260.
5. U.S. Census 1870 IN; Fulton Co.; Rochester Twp.; p. 34; #257/#257. MF #593-316.
6. Fulton County, IN Deed Books; Office of the Co. Recorder, Rochester, IN: Deed Book M-182: J. & M. GILLCHRIST to J., Jr. and Thomas GILLCHRIST (Feb. 1860); Deed Book 10-121: T & P. GILCHRIST to J. GILCHRIST, Jr. and J. GILCHRIST to T. GILCHRIST (23 Nov. 1881); Deed Book 22-181: J. GILCHRIST to T. GILCHRIST (11 Dec. 1890).
7. Misc. records: Book 6-141; Copy of Affidavit: "James GILCHRIST..sixty years of age..." (19 Jan. 1895) Fulton Co. Recorder, Rochester, IN (copy owned by compiler)
8. Handwritten note in Farm Ledger of William GILCHRIST, nephew of James GILCHRIST, Jr. (ledger owned by compiler)
||Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
||26 Feb 2017 |
||James GILCHRIST, b. Between 04 Nov 1798 and 04 Nov 1799, Lanarkshire, Scotland , d. 13 Oct 1876, Fulton County, IN (Age ~ 77 years) |
||Mary ANDERSON, b. 08 Sep 1799, Johnstone, Dumfriesshire, Scotland , d. 01 Jan 1877, Fulton County, IN (Age 77 years) |
||13 Aug 1826
||Jefferson County, IN 
||13 Aug 1826
||Jefferson County, IN 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- Details: Details: Details: Details: Citation Text: (1) Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959: name: JamesGhilchrist event: Marriage event date: 13 Aug 1826 event place: other event place: registration place: , Jefferson, Indiana, United States marriage license date: 13 Aug 1826 residence: gender: Male age (estimated): number of prior marriages: race: birth date: birthplace: father's name: mother's name: spouse's name: Mary Anderson spouse's residence: spouse's gender: Female spouse's age (estimated): spouse's number of prior marriages: spouse's race: spouse's birth date: spouse's birthplace: spouse's father's name: spouse's mother's name: informant's name: officiator's name: And Isaac page: 68 record number: reference: film number: 000549400 digital folder number: 004714736 image number: 00067 number of images: 1 batch number: M03495-4.