1835 - 1865 (30 years)
||Jennet GILCHRIST |
||16 Jun 1835
||Jefferson County, IN
||Janet GILCHRIST |
||04 Oct 1865
||Aubbeenaubbee Township, Fulton County, IN
||Leiters Ford IOOF Cemetery, Leiters Ford, Fulton County, IN
(1) Elizabeth Ann Grubb:
The spelling of the name of this daughter of James and Mary ANDERSON GILCHRIST is uncertain. Her tombstone reads "Jennett"; her marriage license reads "Janet"; deed books, newspapers and county history articles, etc. contain variations of her name. Since she was probably named for one of her Scottish ancestors, compiler has chosen the spelling used in sources from SCOTLAND - Jennet or Gennet.
Jennet GILCHRIST was born about the 15th or 16th of June in 1835. This has been calculated from her age as given on the tombstone: "JENNETT, wife of C. CAMPBELL, DIED Oct. 4, 1865, Aged 30 y's, 3 m's & 18 d's."
The 1840 census shows one female in the age bracket "5-10" in the home of James GILCHRIST in Jefferson County, IN. The family moved to Fulton County about 1846. On the 1850 census, there is a 15-year-old female who most likely is Jennet, but her name is recorded as "Nancy". (Both of the GILCHRISTs probably spoke with strong accents which may have contributed to the error)
By 1860, Jennet was enumerated in the home of her new husband, Christopher CAMPBELL. As of 20 JULY 1860, "Jannett" was 24 years old; she had a 3-year-old step-daughter, Angeline, born to Christopher's first wife, Angeline SUTLEY.
In June 1861, Jennet gave birth to her first son, "John C." About two years later, a second son, James T. (perhaps "James Thomas" for Jennet's father and brothers?) was born to the couple. Their third child, also a boy, was born in July before his brother died in September, 1865. He was also given the name of "John" but the middle initial was changed to "B". Just why these boys' names were the same is not known, but it is possible that Jennet and her husband had reason to believe that John C. would not survive. It was custom among Scots to name a later child in memory of one who had died earlier. On the other hand, circuit rider ministers did not return to the same parish every week or two, and newborns were often not named until the minister returned to the area to christen the infant. It could be that John B. remained nameless until after his brother had died, simply waiting for the return of the minister to christen him. John C. died 26 September 1865; his mother died just eight days later. It is also possible that the baby, John B., was named by his father after the death of John C. and Jennett.
With the death of Jennet, Christopher was left a widower for the second time. This time he was left with three motherless children. His daughter, Angeline, was about 8 years old; his sons by Jennet were two years of age and two months of age respectively. Christopher married a third time in 1867.
March 1860, James and Mary GILCHRIST, had conveyed 60 acres of their farm to Jennet. This was probably meant to be her share of their estate, since her brothers were deeded 180 acres less than a month before. When the delinquent tax list was published in the Rochester newspaper in January 1867, the name of "CAMPBELL, JENNETTE" was listed among the unpaid taxes.
In November 1871, Christopher CAMPBELL and James GILCHRIST were served with a summons for a civil suit filed against them by the State of Indiana. The detailed records of this case have not been located. The result of the case is unknown, but somehow, Christopher retained title to the land. In August of 1888, Christopher, his wife, Rebecca (ZUCK), and his son, John B. conveyed this parcel of land to Jennet's older son, James T. (After the death of James T.'s first wife, Barbara LEITER, James sold the land back to his younger brother, John B. CAMPBELL.)
1. Tombstone: Jennett, Wife of C. CAMPBELL; IOOF Cem., Leiters Ford, (Fulton) IN (photo owned by compiler)
2. "Fulton County Marriages"; p. 160; Fulton Co. Lib.; Rochester, IN (copy owned by compiler)
3. "Fulton County Indiana Cemetery Inscriptions", p. 79; Leiters Ford,... (Section 1 Row 6.) Fulton Co. Lib.; Rochester, IN
4. "Inscriptions From Leiters Ford Cemetery", DAR Survey of Fulton Co. Cemeteries, p. 76 (copy of page owned by compiler)
5. "Peattie's History of Fulton County Indiana, 1896", p. 52; "Christopher Campbell...", Fulton Co. Lib.; Rochester, IN (copy of article owned by compiler)
6. "Fulton County Folks", p. 108; Christopher Campbell Family, Black Republican, Leiters Ford Sunday School Picnic...."; Fulton Co. Lib., Rochester, IN (Article copy owned by compiler)
7. U.S. Census 1840 IN; Jefferson Co.; Republican Twp.; p. 397; MF# 704-83
8. U.S. Census 1850 IN; Fulton Co.; Rochester Twp.; #103/#103. MF# 432-146
9. U.S. Census 1860 IN; Fulton Co.; Aubbeenaubbee Twp.; p. 113; #761/#761; MF #653-260
10. Deed Book M-183; Fulton Co. Recorder, Rochester, IN (copy of deed owned by compiler)
11. "Fulton County IND Newspaper Excerpts, 1865-1868", p. 228: Fulton Co. Delinquent Tax List...for the year 1865 and remaining unpaid on the 15th of Dec. 1866; (Thursday, Jan. 10, 1867...)
12. "Fulton County Court Record, 1836-1872", Nov. Term 1871, Civil Cases: p. 436, Case #108: Jameson & Calkins, Attn.: State of Indiana. Ex Rel. James Robertson vs Christopher Campbell and James Gilchrist on bond, summons 11-2-1871. (2nd entry: p. 432, #60: March Term 1872)
13. Deed Book 19-159; Fulton Co. Recorder, Rochester, IN (copy of deed owned by compiler)
14. Phyllist GEERKEN, Church Sec'y, First Presbyterian Church; 530 Jefferson Street; Rochester, IN 46975. (Response to letter from compiler requesting a search of the records of the early "First Church" in Rochester Township; records found only for the birth dates of James T. and John C. CAMPBELL.)
Jennett Gilchrist Campbell
Birth: Jun. 16, 1835, Jefferson County, Indiana, USA
Death: Oct. 4, 1865
d/o James and Mary (Anderson) Gilchrist
w/o Christopher Campbell married [2nd wife] Janet Gilchrist, Jan 19, 1860, Fulton County, Indiana
Family links: Parents: James Gilchrist (1799 - 1876), Mary Anderson Gilchrist (1799 - 1877); Spouse: Christopher Campbell (1831 - 1904); Children: John C. Campbell (1861 - 1865)
Wife of C. Campbell
age 30y, 3m, 18d
Note: Birth calculated using death date and age
Burial: Leiters Ford IOOF Cemetery, Leiters Ford, Fulton County, Indiana, USA
Plot: Section 1, Row 6
Created by: genealogyfever
Record added: Feb 13, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 65587563
||Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
||15 Apr 2017 |
||James GILCHRIST, b. Between 04 Nov 1798 and 04 Nov 1799, Lanarkshire, Scotland , d. 13 Oct 1876, Fulton County, IN (Age ~ 77 years) |
||Mary ANDERSON, b. 08 Sep 1799, Johnstone, Dumfriesshire, Scotland , d. 01 Jan 1877, Fulton County, IN (Age 77 years) |
||13 Aug 1826
||Jefferson County, IN 
||13 Aug 1826
||Jefferson County, IN 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Christopher CAMPBELL, b. 20 May 1831, Baltimore, Baltimore County, MD , d. 25 Jan 1904, Leiters Ford, Fulton County, IN (Age 72 years) |
||14 Jan 1860
||Fulton County, IN 
||19 Jan 1860
||Fulton County, IN 
| ||1. John B. CAMPBELL, b. 09 Jul 1865, Fulton County, IN , d. 13 Jan 1935, Leiters Ford, Fulton County, IN (Age 69 years) [Natural]|
| ||2. James T. CAMPBELL, b. 22 Apr 1863, Fulton County, IN , d. 02 Apr 1939 (Age 75 years) [Natural]|
| ||3. John C. CAMPBELL, b. 22 Jun 1861, Fulton County, IN , d. 26 Sep 1865, Fulton County, IN (Age 4 years) [Natural]|
||15 Apr 2017 13:36:21 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- Details: Details: Details: Details: Details: Citation Text: (1) Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959: name: JamesGhilchrist event: Marriage event date: 13 Aug 1826 event place: other event place: registration place: , Jefferson, Indiana, United States marriage license date: 13 Aug 1826 residence: gender: Male age (estimated): number of prior marriages: race: birth date: birthplace: father's name: mother's name: spouse's name: Mary Anderson spouse's residence: spouse's gender: Female spouse's age (estimated): spouse's number of prior marriages: spouse's race: spouse's birth date: spouse's birthplace: spouse's father's name: spouse's mother's name: informant's name: officiator's name: And Isaac page: 68 record number: reference: film number: 000549400 digital folder number: 004714736 image number: 00067 number of images: 1 batch number: M03495-4.
- Details: Details: Details: Details: Details: Citation Text: (1) Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959: name: ChristopherCampbell event: Marriage event date: 19 Jan 1860 event place: , Fulton, Indiana other event place: registration place: , Fulton, Indiana, United States marriage license date: 14 Jan 1860 residence: gender: Male age (estimated): number of prior marriages: race: birth date: birthplace: father's name: mother's name: spouse's name: Janet Gilchrist spouse's residence: spouse's gender: Female spouse's age (estimated): spouse's number of prior marriages: spouse's race: spouse's birth date: spouse's birthplace: spouse's father's name: spouse's mother's name: informant's name: officiator's name: N L Lord page: 12 record number: reference: film number: 001871125 digital folder number: 004540526 image number: 00335 number of images: 1 batch number: M03026-8.