First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

John WILSON

Male - Bef 1783


Personal Information    |    PDF

  • Name John WILSON 
    Gender Male 
    History Member of the "70 Families" Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Name John WILLSON 
    Will 3 Mar 1783  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died Bef 16 Apr 1783  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Probate 16 Apr 1783  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 

    • (1) Tracey, Grace L. & Dern, John P., Pioneers of Old Monocacy: The Early Settlement of Frederick County, Maryland, 1721-1743, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1987, p. 87:

      John Willson, Nathaniel Thomas, John Haitt, Jr., John Peteate, George Robinson, Robert Luna, Luke Emelen, Francis Pincher, John Frost, George Hobson and John Calvert were other Quakers who moved through Maryland to Pennsylvania. [Note: Should this read "from Pennsylvania through Maryland."?]

      (2) O'Dell, Cecil, Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing Company, 1995, pp. 82-83:

      JOHN WILSON

      For fifty years, John Wilson lived on a 286-acre tract of land surveyed by Robert Brooke on 24 December 1734. ?Situate on the west side of Opeckon Creek on the east side of a small branch? (Eagle Run) with a house at the head of the branch drawn by Brooke. Wilson received a patent from the Colony for this tract located 1/5 of a mile east of present-day U.S. Highway 11 on 12 November 1735. John and his wife Jean sold 138 acres of the 286-acre patent land to son William Wilson for 35 pounds on 20 March 1775; they then sold the remaining 148 acres to son Edward Wilson for 45 pounds on 21 March 1775.

      John?s wife Jean evidently died shortly after 1775 and he remarried since his will, written 3 March 1783 and proved 16 April 1783, listed his ?wife Jane, young children after 21 sell land to be divided between sons and daughters Jeremiah, Jacob, Elizabeth Clawson, Mary Jane, Sarah Thomas, Lather Daniel and Isaac.? The children of John and Jean were probably three sons: Edward, William and James, and daughter Eleanor, who was deceased with heirs. John?s son William added a 264-acre Fairfax grant east of the south part of the patent land to his 138 acres on 3 August 1780. He and his wife Jane (Duncan) sold this 264 acres to David Wolgamont on 19 September 1780. John?s son Edward Wilson sold his 148-acre north part of the 268-acre patent land to David Wolgamont for 2,500 pounds on 21 March 1780.

      John?s wife Jane of Mason County, Kentucky through power of attorney given to Isaac Wilson and John Jones (executor of John Wilson?s will) sold 80 acres of land to Thomas Turner for 720 pounds on 25 November 1796. John had purchased this 80-acre tract from Solomon Hedges, his wife Rachel and his son Silas on 13 August 1770. John Jones married Mary Wilson, Heir of John Wilson, and moved to Fryatt [Fayette?] County, Kentucky.

      A John Wilson of Middleton Township, Monmouth County, East New Jersey sold land he had purchased in 1710 to his son James on 22 April 1727. This sale was recorded on 3 December 1729 with John Wilson personally acknowledging the act to the Court.

      (3) Frederick County, Virginia, Hopewell Friends History [database online], Orem, UT: Ancestry.com, 1997:

      In the State Land Office at Richmond are to be found recorded in Book 16, pages 315-415, inclusive, the patents issued to the settlers who came to the Shenandoah Valley under authority of the Orders in Council made to Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan. All bear date of November 12, 1735, and recite that the grantee is one of the seventy families brought in by them, and excepting location and acreage, are alike in wording and conditions, and are signed by William Gooch, Lieutenant-Governor of the Colony at that time. . . .

      These patents were issued under the seal of the colony and were grants from the Crown, free of any obligation of feudal services to the Fairfax family, who claimed the land as lords proprietors of the Northern Neck of Virginia. The sixth Lord Fairfax, who later established his home at Greenway Court near Winchester, instituted many suits against early settlers in the Shenandoah Valley, but it does not appear that any Friend who claimed under Ross and Bryan was ever ejected from his land.

      Although it is specifically stated that seventy families have been "by them brought in to our said Colony and settled upon the Lands in the said Order mentioned," only thirty-six patents issued to thirty-four grantees have been found. The names of these grantees are here given, together with sundry information gathered from the minutes of various Friends' meetings, from the records of the counties of Orange and Frederick in Virginia, and Chester County, Pennsylvania. . . .

      John Willson, 286 acres, lying in what is now Berkeley County, West Virginia.
    Person ID I9720  Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
    Last Modified 9 Aug 2018 

    Family 1 Jean (WILSON),   d. Aft 21 Mar 1775 
    Last Modified 9 Aug 2018 11:01:14 
    Family ID F4674  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Jane (WILSON),   d. Aft 25 Nov 1796 
    Married Bef 3 Mar 1783 
    Last Modified 9 Aug 2018 11:01:14 
    Family ID F4675  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart