Abt 1690 - Bef 1766 (~ 76 years)
||John FROST |
||Member of the "70 Families"
||Bef 2 Sep 1766
- (1) John FROST and William FROST, Sr. have been proven, based on DNA tests of their descendants, to have had a common FROST ancestor, although the compiler does not know who that ancestor was. Most persons who have considered the question believe that John FROST was the father of William FROST, Sr., but the compiler has no conclusive proof of such relationship. John FROST is shown here as the father of William FROST, Sr. in order to stimulate further research.
(2) According to lore in the families of several descendants of John FROST, the FROSTs came to America from Wales.
One example of such lore is the following:
"In 1683 several members arrived in America from the Parish of Llainhaugel yr. helyge Radnorshire (Wales) and resided in Pennsylvania as Quakers. From there, they migrated to Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Texas." [See: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cwh001&id=I01162]
[The compiler has not located "the Parish of Llainhaugel yr. helyge" in Radnorshire, Wales. The closest the compiler has come is the parish of Llanfihangel Helygen. See: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/RAD/LlanfihangelHelygen/index.html. Several members of the MILES family arrived in PA in 1683 from Llanfihangel Helygen, Wales, but the compiler has found no evidence that several members of the FROST family also arrived in PA in 1683 from Llanfihangel Helygen, Wales.]
Another example of such lore is the following:
"My father's people originally came from Wales." [Frost, William Anderson, notes dated July 30, 1943, provided to the compiler by William's 2nd great-grandson, Dr. John W. Frost, Jr. .]
Still another example of such lore is the following:
"We know nothing of the appearance or characteristics of Thomas Lindsey, but a description of his first wife, Mary Frost, has come down to us.
"'She was remarkable for her beauty, her heavy suite of raven black hair which came to the calves of her legs, her very white complexion and wondrous dark eyes. She was of Welsh descent.'" [Brown, Ferrell A., The Lindseys: A Genealogy of Thomas and Mary Lindsey and Their Descendants, Point Lookout, MO: School of Ozarks Press, 1970.]
The compiler has not verified such lore.
(3) Marianna Frost :
Miles Goodlett FROST, a descendant of John FROST, reported that according to family lore, a widow FROST, who was a Quaker, came to America with her seven sons.
The compiler has not verified such lore.
(4) Tracey, Grace L. & Dern, John P., Pioneers of Old Monocacy: The Early Settlement of Frederick County, Maryland, 1721-1743, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1987, pp. 79, 87:
The beginnings of a small Quaker settlement in the area near today's Buckeystown paved the way for the organization of the first religious establishment in western Maryland. The resulting "Monquesey Meeting" of the Society of Friends thus preceded the churches organized by the far more numerous German Lutherans and Reformed, as well as the Established Church of England. . . .
Thomas Curtis and his wife Mary Bryan, daughter of Morgan Bryan, came from Pennsylvania into today's Berkeley County, West Virginia. Isaac Perkins, likewise from Pennsylvania, became a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses and a friend of Lord Fairfax. He devoted his life to the Society of Friends. Thomas Anderson built one of the first mills on Mill Creek in Virginia. John Mills, Sr. described himself in 1743 as a farmer from Prince George's County, Maryland; his son John Mills, Jr. was a cordwainer. John Richards was born in England, was taxed in Chester County, Pennsylvania from 1720-1726 and then moved to Virginia, joining the Hopewell Quakers. Cornelius Cockerine likewise owned property in Chester County, then moved to the mouth of the Opequon. William Hogg was a taxable in East Nottingham Township of Chester County, Pennsylvania from 1718 to 1730 and appeared in the Hopewell Minutes sometimes as Hoge, sometimes as Hogue. John Littler was a business partner of James Wright. He kept a tavern in Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1729-1730, where his records in 1731 show "he is going away." His daughter married a daughter of Alexander Ross. Thomas Branson in his will of November 21, 1744 identified himself as from Burlington County, New Jersey. He devised his land "on Shannandow River" to his sons who were then living on it. Evan Thomas was a Quaker minister who came from Wales in 1719. His son Evan Thomas, Jr. married the daughter of Alexander Ross. Abraham Hollingsworth according to the Minutes of the Nottingham (Pennsylvania) Monthly meeting in 1729 was "under dealings and absent from home." Family tradition claims he paid first "a cow, a calf and a piece of red cloth to the Shawnee Indians for his land." But on November 23, 1732 he received a survey for 582 acres "within the limits of an order of Council granted to Alexander Ross." John Willson, Nathaniel Thomas, John Haitt [Hiatt?], Jr., John Peteate, George Robinson, Robert Luna, Luke Emelen, Francis Pincher, John Frost, George Hobson and John Calvert were other Quakers who moved through Maryland to Pennsylvania. [Note: Should this read "through Maryland to Virginia."?]
(5) Hinshaw, William Wade, Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy. Vol. VI [Reprint], Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1994, pp. 357-360:
HOPEWELL MONTHLY MEETING
(Sometimes called Opeckan in early records)
Frederick County, Virginia
A number of historians have written accounts of the first settlement of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia by certain members of the Society of Friends, and of the establishment of various meetings on its fertile limestone soil, one of these meetings being known at first as Opeckan and later called Hopewell Meeting, it being the earliest meeting established in this particular region. The exact date of its establishment has never been settled upon. In 1875, in "An Account of the Meetings of the Society of Friends within the Limits of Baltimore Yearly Meeting", Levi K. Brown, the narrator, says: "Hopewell Meeting is situated in Frederick Co., Virginia, five miles north of Winchester and Harper's Ferry Railroad. It was established about the year 1730 and was for many years attached to Concord Quarterly Meeting, Pennsylvania". It is known, however, that Opeckan (Hopewell) Meeting for Worship was not officially established until 1734; and that Hopewell Monthly Meeting was established in 1735, all of which is definitely shown by Quarterly and Yearly Meeting minutes. In about the year 1730 Alexander Ross, Morgan Bryan, and other Friends, secured a grant of land (a tract of 100,000 acres) on the Opeckan River and its vicinity to be settled by a large number of families of Friends from Pennsylvania, some of whom had already migrated to the Valley of the Monocacy, in Maryland. It stands to reason that Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan had made extensive surveys of the region in the years previous to 1730 when they applied for the huge land grant. Although this grant had not been made final until 1732, the migration of Families of Friends into the valley seems to have been started soon after application had been made for it, and that by 1732 not less than seventy such families had settled in this wild region. The heads of the families have been called "Fathers of the Colony". It has ever been the custom of Friends, upon arrival in any new settlement, to immediately hold meetings, sometimes out of doors, but usually held in the house of a Friend, as soon as such a house could be built and made available. Friends, everywhere, anywhere, had in early times, little need of shelters in order to hold meetings; their meetings were usually held in silence. When two or more Friends might meet on the road or in a forest, they were almost certain to stop and hold a meeting if circumstances permitted. They could sit down together under the shade of a tree and, "going into silence" have the experience of feeling the Presence of God amongst them. That the Friends who went first into the Shenandoah Valley held their first meeting almost immediately after they arrived, and on the very first day of their arrival, I have no doubt. For that is exactly what they would have done. The terrain was wild and entirely uncultivated; houses had to be built of logs, after clearings were made for them, but the new land, -"The Promised Land", as it were, was beautiful. Can anyone doubt that their spirits were uplifted when they reached their new homeland, which they had travelled long days to find, and that their first thought would have been to assemble together in praise and thanksgiving to God? We do not know what families formed the very first Caravan; but we must assume that Alexander Ross led them into this wilderness of beauty and fertility; and we know that however many families went in the first caravan, others soon followed, and that within two years some seventy families of Friends had settled themselves in that lovely valley, and that in their thriftiness they had soon created a large community, built houses of logs, set up sawmills and grist mills and had brought about a condition of orderly living, such as Friends have always established in every new wilderness into which they migrated, One has only to read over the names of the "Fathers of the Colony", all of whom are well known to history, to realize the great strength of this remarkable community of Friends. There were: Alexander Ross, Morgan Bryan, Caleb Pusey, John Wilson, Thomas Curtis, Nathaniel Thomas, Isaac Perkins, John Hiatt, Thomas Anderson, John Mills, John Mills, Jr., John Beals, John Peteate, George Robinson, Richard Beeson, Robert Luna, John Richards, Giles Chapman, James Brown, Luke Emlen, Cornelius Cochrine, Josiah Ballenger, William Hogg, Benjamin Borden, John Littler, James Wright, John Frost, Thomas Dawson, Thomas Branson, George Hobson (Sr. & Jr.), Evan Thomas, John Calvert, Morgan Morgan, Hugh Farrell, James Davis, Thomas Babb, Edward Davis, John Hood, Abraham Hollingsworth, Simeon Taylor, and many others, together with their wives, sons, and daughters, all brought together in this wonderful Shenandoah Valley. Many others soon followed them. Is it, therefore, any wonder that this community, now a large part of what became Frederick Co., Va., became one of the greatest strongholds of the whole of America for the up-building of character and civic virtue and Faith in God and in His Truth? The generations of the early families of this community have moved on southward and westward, spreading ever outward and going ever onward, generation after generation, until millions of descendants of these great families literally cover the entire face of the United States, mingling their precious blood with the descendants of other great Quaker families of Maryland, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York and all New England States, going on to Ohio, Indiana, Iowa and all Middle Western States and up and down the Pacific Coast, thus linking together the genealogical lineages of many millions of our sturdiest Americans of today. Ohio, once called the Northwest Territory, was the "bottleneck" (or Gateway) through which all Quaker families passed in their migrations Westward, whether from the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and/or the New England States; they all met in Ohio, where they mingled their bloods through marriages between their children; and then they migrated to Indiana, from whence they spread northward and westward until they covered all states, with the exceptions of a few states to the South: Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana, where few Friends have ever lived, on account that the Quakers could not live contentedly where slavery existed.
Hopewell Meeting was first known as Opeckan Meeting; and the records and minutes of many other meetings, both north and south, list many certificates of removal from Opeckan Meeting, even as late as 1751/52. The official name of "Hopewell" was given to the meeting, however, in 1734 when the meeting was authorized by the Quarterly and Yearly Meetings under which Hopewell was established. Hopewell Monthly Meeting was authorized to be established in 1735. To it were attached Hopewell Meeting and Providence Meeting, these two meetings comprising Hopewell Monthly Meeting after 1744, prior to which, both Monocacy and Fairfax Meetings belonged to Hopewell Monthly Meeting. By 1744 the Friends belonging to Hopewell Monthly Meeting had become so numerous that it was decided to divide the meetings and a monthly meeting was established under the name Fairfax Monthly Meeting which were assigned Monocacy and Fairfax Meetings.
FROM: Samuel Smith's History of Pennsylvania, a part of which was printed in the Register of Pennsylvania, Vol. VII, p. 134, edited by Samuel Hazard, is quoted here from Hopewell Friends History (1936). (Smith's History of Pennsylvania was compiled at the direction of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting in 1752.)
"About the year 1725, Henry Ballinger and Josiah Ballinger, from near Salem, in West Jersey; and soon after them James Wright, William Beals, and others from Nottingham, settled in the upper parts of Prince George's County, Maryland, near a large creek called Monoquesey [Monocacy]. About the year 1726, they applied to New Garden Monthly Meeting for liberty to hold a meeting for worship on first days, which was granted, and held at the house of Josiah Ballinger, and others till the year 1736, when a piece of ground was purchased and a meeting-house built, which is called Cold Spring meeting-house, where meetings are still kept.
"About the year 1732, Alexander Ross and Company obtained a grant from the Governor and Council at Williamsburgh in Virginia, for 100,000 acres of land near a large creek called Opeckan in the said colony, which about that time was settled by the said Alexander Ross, Josiah Ballinger, James Wright, Evan Thomas, and divers other Friends from Pennsylvania and Elk River, in Maryland, who soon after obtained leave from the quarterly meeting of Chester, held at Concord, to hold a meeting for worship, soon after which land was purchased and a meeting-house built, called Hopewell, where meetings are still held twice a week.
"About the year 1733, Amos Janney from Bucks County, and soon after divers other Friends settled about forty miles lower in Virginia than Opeckon, who obtained leave to hold a meeting for worship on first days, which was held at the said Amos Janney's and other Friends houses till the year 1741, when a piece of land was purchased, and a meeting-house built thereon, called Fairfax, where meetings are since held twice a week.
"About the year 1733 or soon after, Richard Beeson and divers others settled near a branch of Opeckon, called Tuscarora, where a meeting was held at said Beeson's house for some time, till the number of Friends being increased, land was purchased and a meeting-house built, called Providence, where meetings are since held twice a week.
"About the year 1736, Friends in those back settlements applied to Chester quarterly meeting for liberty to hold a monthly meeting, which was granted, and was held twice at Hopewell, and once at Cold Spring, alias Monoquesy, and so continued till the year 1744, when the number of Friends being much increased, they applied to the said quarterly meeting to have the monthly meeting divided, which was granted, so that since the year 1744, Hopewell and Providence make one monthly meeting, which is held by turns at Hopewell and Cold Spring, and the meeting at Fairfax makes another".
It is apparent, from the foregoing statements that the historian was not certain of the dates, since in each paragraph he begins with "About the year". Therefore, we cannot take his dates as the exact dates at which such occurrences came to pass. The full statement, however, is worth recording in any history of Hopewell and/or Fairfax.
Nottingham Monthly Meeting, in Cecil County, Maryland, was "set off" from New Garden Monthly Meeting, Chester County, Pennsylvania in 1730, and held its first monthly meeting on 20th of 4 mo. 1730. This being the nearest monthly meeting to Hopewell, Fairfax, Providence and Cold Spring (Monocacy), their monthly reports were made to Nottingham Monthly Meeting until Hopewell Monthly Meeting was firmly established in 1736. Their records of births, deaths and marriages, therefore, before 1736 should be found in the books of Nottingham Monthly Meeting. In fact, they are so found. So, to get a fair understanding of the activities of these meetings before Hopewell was established, one needs only to study the minutes and records of Nottingham Monthly Meeting. In these records we find items as follows:
1730-6-15. Alexander Ross appointed on a committee
1730-8-17. Richard Beeson and Ann Brown declared marriage intentions
1730/31-11-16. Alexander Ross again on a committee - with John Gartrill
1730-31-1-20. John Butterfield and Mary Brown declared marriage intentions
1731-2-17. Rachel Oldham, Mary Eiger and Katharine Ross to attend quarterly meeting 1731-7-18. Katharine Ross and Dinah Brown on committee to disown Sarah Morgan
These minutes show that Alexander Ross and others of the Shenandoah Valley were already there as early as the first above date.
1733-9-17. Elizabeth Renfro (widow of Joseph Hollingsworth) was complained of for marrying out of unity and Katharine Ross and Mary Littler were appointed to "labor with her". The first marriage at Hopewell.
1735-Oct.11. Ross, John, was married to Lydia Hollingsworth, daughter of Stephen. They had to go to Nottingham to declare their marriage intentions; such appearances had to be made before monthly meetings.
Unfortunately, the first book of minutes of Hopewell Monthly Meeting covering activities of the meeting from 1735 to 1759, inclusive, was burned in a fire at the house of the Clerk, Wm. Jolliffe, Jr.; but all other books from that day to this have been carefully preserved and their records and minutes have been meticulously extracted and compiled from the original books for this compilation. Since it has ever been the custom of all monthly meetings to register all certificates issued by them, and also all certificates received by them from other meetings, it has been possible to recover from those meetings closely connected with Hopewell a fairly good record of certificates of removal to and from Hopewell during that "lost" period of some 24 years. These have been collected and placed in this compilation in proper chronological order. A large number of these certificates we have taken from the historical department of a splendid book, "Hopewell Friends History", published in 1936 by "The Joint Committee of Hopewell Friends" and printed by Shenandoah Publishing House, Inc., Strasburg, Virginia. I wish here to express my appreciation to Mr. and Mrs. Walker McClun Bond, of Winchester, Virginia, who, acting for their Committee, graciously offered us the privilege of using as much of their material as we might find helpful to this compilation. They went to a great deal of trouble to collect a vast amount of historical data from other meetings and from individual descendants of early members of Hopewell Meeting to be published for their celebration of the 200th anniversary of Hopewell Meeting in 1936. Those desiring a more detailed history of Hopewell than is possible to include in this compilation will find the above named book highly informative.
During the two centuries of the life of Hopewell Monthly Meeting, there have been some 30 meetings for worship and preparative meetings which were at one time or another under its oversight. These meetings covered a large terrain, including all of northern Virginia, and all of what is now West Virginia, as well as parts of western Pennsylvania and one meeting in Maryland (Monocacy).
The original books of minutes of Hopewell Monthly Meeting show almost a complete record of certificates of removal to and from that meeting with the exception, as stated, of its first 24 years. The books of records of births and deaths, however, are incomplete, and only a comparatively small part of all births and deaths are listed. This was probably caused by the fact that so many families belonging to meetings for worship lived so far away (hundreds of miles in many cases) that it was scarcely possible to send in the family records to be recorded. Travel was exceedingly difficult over mountainous roads running through wild terrain fraught with great danger. Committees were appointed periodically to go out and collect such data; but although they made faithful efforts to do so, they could not visit all families living in so many remote places. Marriage records covering the entire life of Hopewell Monthly Meeting seem quite complete. In the book of marriage records we find more than 300 full marriage certificates. Children listed as born to such marriages will be found directly under the data taken from each such marriage certificate with the dates of birth and other information alluding thereto where such has been found.
But a great number of marriages were of young people residing in remote places, and although it stands to reason that children were born to these parents, their births have not been registered. In many such cases, however, the names of such children are found listed in certificates of removal; and in other cases, names of children of parents not listed in the Register of Births and Deaths are found in their own marriage certificates which give the names of their parents. In writing up the data from marriage certificates, we have inserted the dates of births and deaths of the parties thereto, when possible, taking the dates from the record of births and deaths, doing this to aid searchers in identifications.
During the first 150 years of the life of Hopewell many families migrated to southern Virginia and to the Carolinas; when the Northwest Territory (Ohio)was opened up great numbers of Hopewell families migrated to that region, some of whom stopped enroute for a time at Redstone and Westland Meetings in western Pennsylvania, where their certificates were deposited. The names of hundreds of Hopewell families are found in the records of many meetings in Ohio and Indiana, and even on into Iowa, Illinois, Kansas and still farther west. Many hundreds of families now living in California and Oregon and other western states seek their ancestral lineages in the records of Hopewell and all other Virginia Meetings. The people now living in Virginia, Maryland, and other eastern states scarcely realize that they have some millions of cousins now living in those western states, from Ohio to the Pacific Coast.
Hopewell Monthly Meeting at Winchester, Virginia is still in existence as an active meeting; it has flourished continually since its organization over 200 years ago. Its labors and influence have spread in an ever widening and continuous wave to cover the entire United States; descendants of its early families are now living in every state of the Union. The meeting was divided by the Hicksite separation but both branches continued to use the same meeting house. In 1910 the branches began holding their services together and have continued to do so since that date.
William Wade Hinshaw
(6) An article by Thomas H. Fawcett entitled "Quaker Migration from Pennsylvania and New Jersey to Hopewell Monthly Meeting, 1732-1759," Bulletin of Friends Historical Association, Vol. 26, No. 2 (Autumn 1937), pp. 102-108, lists a number of Quakers who migrated to the Hopewell Monthly Meeting from Pennsylvania and New Jersey during the period from 1732 to 1759. However, John FROST is not listed in that article. Following are possible reasons for the absence of such listing:
• John FROST might have migrated to the Hopewell Monthly Meeting from a place other than Pennsylvania or New Jersey.
• John FROST might have been a member of the Nottingham Monthly Meeting in 1735, when the Hopewell Monthly Meeting was set up, and then became a member of the Hopewell Monthly Meeting without formal record being made of the change.
• John FROST, like the NEILLs, might have had a Quaker background before he came to the Hopewell Monthly Meeting, but did not bring a certificate with him.
• John FROST, like the JOLLIFFEs, might have not had a Quaker background before he came to the Hopewell Monthly Meeting.
(7) John FROST and at least some of his children were Quakers. Unfortunately, the first book of minutes of the Hopewell Monthly Meeting, covering activities from 1735 to 1759, was destroyed in a fire in the house of the clerk, William JOLLIFE, Jr., in 1759. Accordingly, any information about John's family that appeared in that book is unavailable.
(8) O'Dell, Cecil, Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing Company, 1995, pp. 239-240:
John Frost purchased a 380-acre tract (surveyed on 25 September 1734) from the Colony on 12 November 1735. He lived on this land located about ¾ miles south of present-day Stephenson, Frederick County, Virginia. On 10 January 1737, he sold 200 acres to Peter Falkner, "Opechon store keeper," of Orange County for 20 pounds. . . . After Frost had moved to the Back Creek area, the remaining 180 acres were sold on 20 September 1743 to John Milburn of West New Jersey for 100 pounds. . . .
The 380 acres lies on Hiatt Run, a branch of Opequon Creek. Robert Brooke, surveyor, stated that the northeast corner of the survey is "about 22 poles above (south) the path that leads from John Littlers to Abraham Hollingsworth." This path would later become County Highway 761 and U.S. Highway 11. In the Orange County Deed of 1737, the 200-acre south section is described as "on the west side the road from Potomack River to the forks of Shanando." This road is now County Highway 664; it was formerly part of the Watkins Ferry to Kersey Ferry Road ordered viewed and laid off by Orange County Court in 1741. In 1737, however, this road would have run west from Williams Ferry at the north side of the mouth of Opequon Creek to present-day U.S. Highway 11 south to Stephenson and then across the Opequon at Burnt Factory to Kersey's Ferry. (U.S. Highway 50 at Shenandoah River)
Frost owned 291 acres of land on Elk Lick Branch, west of Back Creek. By 13 April 1751, he had sold it to Dennis Springer who subsequently sold it to Moses Lumbart. This tract is located one mile north of Shanghai, West Virginia on Berkeley County Highway 7. Frost sold a 378-acre tract adjacent east of the 291 acres on Back Creek to Robert Heaton who received a Fairfax grant for it on 21 October 1754.
There was a John Frost, Stay-maker, who lived in the town of Philadelphia in the 1730's, and a John Frost is mentioned in a Bucks County, Pennsylvania Deed Book in 1720.
(9) Kerns, Frederick County, Virginia - Settlement and Some First Families of Back Creek Valley?1730-1830 (1995), p. 168:
John and Mary Frost were first settlers and grantees in the Bryan-Ross, Opequon Settlement.
(9) MacDonald, Rose M. E., Clarke County, a Daughter of Frederick - A History of Early Families and Homes, Berryville, VA: Blue Ridge Press, 1943:
One of the oldest mills in Clarke County is the one erected by William Frost. Though unused for many years, it is still in a good state of preservation, much of the machinery being intact. The father of William Frost, John Frost, had also erected a mill shortly after his settlement in Frederick County in 1734.
(10) VA Patents Book 16, pp. 374-376 [12 November 1735]:
George the Second by the Grace of God of Great Britain France and Ireland, the Defender of the Faith &c. To all to whom these Presents shall come Greeting: Know Ye that for divers good Causes and Considerations but more Especially for the Consideration mentioned in an Order of our Lieut. Governor and Council of our Colony & Dominion of Virginia bearing Date the three and twentieth Day of April one thousand seven hundred & thirty five granting Leave to Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan to reconvey in such manner as they should think fit one thousand acres of Land for each Family of seventy Families by them brought into our said Colony and settled upon the Lands in the said Order mentioned and to Issue out Patents for the same We have Given Granted and Confirmed and by these Presents for us our Heirs and Successors do Give Grant and Confirm unto John Frost one certain Tract or Parcel of Land containing three hundred and eighty Acres and bounded as followeth to wit: Begining [sic] at a white Oak in Hugh Parril's Line twenty two Poles above the Path from Litler's [sic] to Hollingworth's [sic] and running thence along the said Parril's Line South sixty two Degrees East one hundred & sixteen Poles to a white Oak Thence North fifty Degrees East seventy eight Poles to a White Oak by a Valley Thence North seventy Degrees East fifty two Poles to a white Oak on a Hill Thence North eighty Degrees East thirty eight Poles crossing sevenlick Branch to a white Oak Saplin [sic] Thence North twenty Degrees East one sundred and sixty Poles [portion of page missing] Thence North sixty Degrees East sixty eight Poles to a [portion of page missing] Thence North West sixty four Poles to a white Oak Thence North sixty Poles to a Hiccory [sic] Corner of John Litler's [sic] Land Thence North West along the same one hundred Poles to his Corner white Oak Thence South thirty seven Degrees West four hundred & eight four Poles to the begining [sic] With all Woods underWoods Swamps Marshes LowGrounds Meadows Feedings and his due Share of all Veins Mines and Quarries as well discovered as not discovered within the bounds aforesaid and being Part of the said Quantity of three hundred and eight Acres of Land and the River Water and Water Courses therein contained within [?] with the Privileges of Hunting Hawking Fishing Fowling and all other Profits Commodities and Hereditaments whatsoever to the same of any Part thereof belonging or in any wise Appertaining To have hold Possess and Enjoy the said Tract or Parcel of Land and all other the before Granted Premises and every Part thereof with their and every of their Appurtenances unto the said John Frost and to his Heirs & Assigns forever To the only Use and Behoof of him the said John Frost his Heirs and Assigns forever To be held of us our Heirs and Successors as of our Mannor [sic] of East Greenwich in the County of Kent in fee and common Soccage & not in Capite or by Knights Service Yielding & Paying unto us our Heirs and Successors for every fifty Acres of Land and so proportionably for a lesser or greater Quantity than fifty acres the fee Rent of one Shilling Yearly to be Paid upon the Feast of Saint Michael the Arch Angel and also Cultivating and Improving three Acres Part of every fifty of the Tract abovementioned within three [sic] after the Date of these Presents Provided always That if three Years of the said fee Rent shall at any Time be in Arrear and Unpaid of if the said John Frost his Heirs or Assigns do not within the Space of three Years next coming after the Date of These Presents Cultivate and Improve three Acres Part of every fifty of the Tract abovementioned Then the Estate hereby granted shall Cease and be utterly Determined and thereafter it shall and may be lawful to and for us our Heirs and Successors to Grant the same Land and Premises with the Appurtenances unto such other Person or Persons as we our Heirs & Successors shall think fit In Witness whereof we have caused these our Letters Patent to be made Witness our Trusty and Well[?] beloved William Gooch Esqr. our Lieut. Governor and Commander in Chief of our said Colony and Dominion at Williamsburgh Under the Seal of our said Colony the Twelfth Day of November one thousand seven hundred and thirty five In the Ninth Year of our Reign.
(11) Greene, Katherine Glass, Winchester, Virginia and Its Beginnings--1743-1814, Strasburg, VA: 1926, pp. 383, 384:
LIST OF FREDERICK CLK. FEES BELONGING TO JAMES WOOD,
ANNO DOM. 1744 . . .
Frost, John . . . . . 25 [pounds of tobacco]
(12) Dorman, John F., Orange County, Virginia Will Book I, 1735-1743, Washington, D. C.: 1958:
John Frost was one of three appraisers who inventoried the estate of John Smith, deceased, on April 27, 1739.
Id., p. 23:
John Frost was one of three appraisers who inventoried the estate of Peter Falkner, deceased, on February 28, 1740.
Id., p. 25:
On July 24, 1740, John Frost posted a £50 bond in connection with his serving as administrator of the estate of Micah Shepherd, deceased.
Id., p. 28:
On or about November 23, 1740, John Frost attended a sale of items from the estate of Micah Shepherd, deceased. John bought the following items at the sale: common prayer book and book of notes, £0.13.6; knife and other small articles, £0.1.3; razor, £0.3.6; pare [sic] shoes, £0.4.0; and saddle, £2.0.0.
William Frost, Sr. was also present at the sale. He bought the following items at the sale: pockett [sic] compass, £0.4.0; pare [sic] of boots, £0.4.0; and sundry rubbage [sic], £0.1.1
Other purchasers at the sale were Richard Abrell, John Downey, John Littler, William McMahon, John Mead, John Neill, Hugh Parill, Isaac Parkins, Joseph Stanley and Edward Sweetapple.
Id., p. 32:
John Frost was one of three appraisers who inventoried the estate of John Lilburn, deceased, on June 25, 1741.
Id., pp. 43-45:
On or about September 21, 1742, John Frost attended an auction of items from the estate of Edward Glover, deceased. John bought the following items at the auction: spoke shave, £0.2.1; howell [sic], £0.0.11; crocus bagg [sic], £0.2.10; and gridiron, £0.2.10.
Other purchasers at the auction were Charles Barne, Arthur Barrett, Benjamin Carter, Joseph Colvill, William Colvin, Thomas Doster, William Glover, Richard Hilland, George Hobson, William Hogg, George Hollingsworth, John Littler, Isaac Malon, William McMahon, James O'Neill, Isaac Parkins, Alexander Ross, William Taylor, Evan Thomas, William Vance and James Wood.
(13) Dorman, John F., Orange County, Virginia Deed Books 5, 6, 7 and 8, 1741-1743, Washington, DC: 1971, pp. 47-48:
On February 25, 1743, William Jesper, John Frost and Morganan? were witnesses to the execution by Simeon Woodrow of Chester County, PA of a deed of lease and release from Mr. Woodrow to Edward Southwood of Orange County, VA, covering 200 acres of land which was "part of tract on the west side of Sharrando River and on Opeckon Creek and on the south east side thereof . . . by the creek side." The entry does not specify where Mr. Woodrow and the witnesses were when Mr. Woodrow executed the deed.
(14) O'Dell, Cecil, Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing Company, 1995, p. 179:
On 12 November 1734, Robert Brooke surveyed 400 acres for Giles Chapman, "near the head of a Branche that runs into the Creek over the Short Hills and near the Western End of the Short Hills." This tract is located ¾ miles north of White Hall on Frederick County, Virginia Highway 739, on a branch of Green Springs Run on the west side of Apple Pie Ridge. . . . On 12 November 1735, Giles received a patent from the Colony. He and his wife Sarah sold 150 acres of the tract to Ulrick Ruble on 30 August 1744 for 10 pounds, 2 shillings, 2 pence. . . . On 3 June 1745, Giles sold the remaining 250 acres to James Cromley/Crumley for 60 pounds.
According to Joint Committee of Hopewell Friends, Hopewell Friends History 1734-1934, Frederick County, Virginia: Records of Hopewell Monthly Meetings and Meetings Reporting to Hopewell, Strasburg, VA: 1936, p. 22, the deed conveying the 250-acre portion of the 400-acre tract was witnessed by John Littler, James Carter, John Frost and W. Rannells [Reynolds?].
(15) Frederick County, Virginia, Hopewell Friends History [database online], Orem, UT: Ancestry.com, 1997:
In the State Land Office at Richmond are to be found recorded in Book 16, pages 315-415, inclusive, the patents issued to the settlers who came to the Shenandoah Valley under authority of the Orders in Council made to Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan. All bear date of November 12, 1735, and recite that the grantee is one of the seventy families brought in by them, and excepting location and acreage, are alike in wording and conditions, and are signed by William Gooch, Lieutenant-Governor of the Colony at that time. . . .
These patents were issued under the seal of the colony and were grants from the Crown, free of any obligation of feudal services to the Fairfax family, who claimed the land as lords proprietors of the Northern Neck of Virginia. The sixth Lord Fairfax, who later established his home at Greenway Court near Winchester, instituted many suits against early settlers in the Shenandoah Valley, but it does not appear that any Friend who claimed under Ross and Bryan was ever ejected from his land.
Although it is specifically stated that seventy families have been "by them brought in to our said Colony and settled upon the Lands in the said Order mentioned," only thirty-six patents issued to thirty-four grantees have been found. The names of these grantees are here given, together with sundry information gathered from the minutes of various Friends' meetings, from the records of the counties of Orange and Frederick in Virginia, and Chester County, Pennsylvania. . . .
John Frost, 380 acres, described as "being above the path that leads from John Littler's to Abraham Hollingworth's." On September 20, 1743, John Frost sold this land to John Millbourne, and to the former description is added "the sd. 380 acres being betwixt John Littler & Hugh Parrell, and being the plantation where John Frost formerly lived." Witnesses to this deed were Alexander Ross, Thomas Wilson, John Littler, and William Jolliffe. It would appear from the records of Frederick County that John Frost owned other lands on Long Marsh in what is now Clarke County, Va., and also lands on Back Creek in Frederick County.
It is not known when John Frost died, but the records of Frederick County show that administration upon the estate of John Chambers was granted to John Frost, with Robert Worthington and Richard Morgan as sureties, on June 18, 1748. . . .
John Frost did not witness the marriage of his daughter Sarah to John Lupton in Frederick County, VA on June 26, 1755.
(16) The Pennsylvania Gazette, 1728-1800 [database online], Accessible Archives:
Philadelphia, November 5, 1747.
Strayed away on the 6th of July last, from Francis Baldwin, living near John Frost's, on Back Creek, in Virginia, a sorrel mare, branded with T on the near Shoulder; and with her a yearling colt, branded with WB on the near shoulder and buttock, with some white down his face; and with them a spring colt, all naturals pacers. Whoever takes up the said creatures, and secures them so that the owner may have them again, shall have Forty shillings reward, and reasonable charges, paid by FRANCIS BALDWIN.
(17) Jantz, Virginia Copeland, Copeland, Bostick, Patton, and Allied Families, Waco, TX: privately published, 1981, pp. 12-14:
John Frost was probably born between 1710 and 1715, and he died in South Carolina some time before 1766. His place of birth is not known. The maiden name of Mary Frost is not known. It is estimated that she was born between 1715 and 1720 and that she died some time after 1771 when she deeded land to her son, Jonathan Frost. Mary Frost's place of birth is not known. The Frosts were members of the Quaker Church and belonged to the Hopewell Monthly Meeting in Frederick County, Virginia, after their marriage. Many of the members of the Hopewell Monthly Meeting came from Pennsylvania. Hopewell Monthly Meeting was officially established in 1734, but was originally called Opeckan. In 1735, the meeting was called Hopewell. This meeting was established after a group of Friends obtained a grant for 100,000 acres of land in about the year 1730. John Frost was among the group of Friends to take up land in this area of Virginia. He continued to live in this area of Virginia for some twenty years.
A deed recorded in Frederick County, Virginia, by John Frost in which he sold land to John W. Millburn on 9 March, 1743, stated that John Frost had acquired the land on 12 November, 1735. This was about the time that the Hopewell Monthly Meeting was established. John Frost's children were born in Frederick County, Virginia. The Hopewell Monthly Meeting first book of minutes, covering activities from 1735 to 1759, was destroyed by fire in the house of the clerk, William Jollife, Jr., and therefore the birth dates for the children of John Frost are not known, with the exception of the daughter, Mary.
By 1756 John and Mary Frost had moved to South Carolina with other Quaker families. They may have moved there at an earlier date, but John Frost's first grant was surveyed on 8 December, 1756, and was located on the Wateree River. It contained 65 acres. A William Frost, who may have been a brother to John Frost, also obtained a grant in this area on 2 April, 1752. The book by Willard Heiss, Quakers in the South Carolina Backcountry, Wateree and Bush River, gives information about these early Quaker settlements in South Carolina. The Wateree Monthly Meeting was also called Fredericksburg Monthly Meeting, and no records exist for this meeting and another called Kershaw Monthly Meeting. The Friends who established the Wateree or Fredericksburg Monthly Meeting seemed to have been the ones who established the Bush River Monthly Meeting in Newberry District where the Frosts later lived.
John Frost must have died some time before 2 September, 1766, as Mary Frost had a tract of land surveyed on this date. It was located in Berkeley County in the fork between Broad River and the Saluda River and contained 150 acres of land. On 22 November, 1771, Mary Frost transferred this land to her son, Jonathan Frost. No further record was found on Mary Frost after this date. Her son, Jonathan Frost, obtained a grant for 100 acres of land in Craven County on a branch of the Saluda River on 17 January, 1772. It is possible that this 100-acre tract was confiscated when Jonathan Frost joined the Loyalist Militia, but the 150-acre tract which he obtained from his mother was heired by Jonathan's son, John Frost.
The names of the following children of John and Mary Frost were obtained from various records such as family records and Quaker records. There may have been children other than the four listed below.
CHILDREN OF JOHN AND MARY FROST:
i. Sarah Frost was born about 1735 in Frederick County, Virginia, and she died 22 May, 1775. On 26 June, 1755, she was married to John Lupton in Frederick County. John and Sarah Lupton remained in Frederick County when the other members of the Frost family moved to South Carolina. The children of John and Sarah Lupton were Grace Lupton, born 9 June, 17 5 7; Joshua Lupton, born 12 September, 1759, married to Lydia Rees; Nathan Lupton, born 7 August, 1761, married to Margaret Rees; Mary Lupton, born 8 June, 1764, married to Eli Raley; John Lupton, born 3 January, 1769; Joseph Lupton, born 3 June, 1771; and Sarah Lupton, born 28 April, 1773.
ii. Mary Frost was born 16 May, 1738, in Frederick County, Virginia, and died 11 December, 1809, in Newberry District, South Carolina. On 17 May, 1758, she married William O'Neall, who was born 5 November, 1734, at Christiana, Delaware, and died 5 November, 1786, in Newberry District, South Carolina. Their children, born between 1762 and 1781 were Abijah O'Neall, who married Anne Keller; Sarah O'Neall, who married Elisha Ford; Hugh O'Neall, who married Anne Kelly; William O'Neall, Jr., who married Mary Elmore; John O'Neall, who married Hepsabah Gilbert; Henry Frost O'Neall, who married Mary Miles; Thomas O'Neall, who married first Sarah Evans and second a woman whose name was Pearson; and Mary Ann O'Neall, who died at about one year of age.
iii. Grace Frost was born in Frederick County, Virginia, and later moved to South Carolina. She was married to John O'Neall, the brother of William O'Neall. John O'Neall fought on the side of the British during the Revolutionary War and was killed by the Americans during the war. Their known children were Sarah O'Neall, Rebecca O'Neall, and William Warren O'Neall. It is felt that this list is incomplete. William Warren O'Neall was married to Margaret Iler and they lived in Rapides Parish, Louisiana.
iv. Jonathan Frost was born between 1745 and 1750 in Frederick County, Virginia, and died 13 December, 1780 in South Carolina. He was married to Mary Benson about 1772 in South Carolina.
(18) King, Junie Estelle Stewart, Abstracts of Wills, Inventories and Administration Accounts of Frederick County, Virginia?1743-1800, Scottsdale, AZ: J.E.S. King, 1961, p. 21:
John "Froast" was a witness to the will of John Milbourn, dated 14 August 1761, and proved in December 1761.
||Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
||28 Nov 2023 |
||Mary (FROST) d. Aft 22 Nov 1771, SC |
| ||1. Sarah FROST, b. Abt 1735, Frederick County, VA d. 22 May 1775, Frederick County, VA (Age ~ 40 years)|
| ||2. Mary FROST, b. 16 May 1738, Frederick County, VA d. 11 Dec 1809, Newberry County, SC (Age 71 years)|
| ||3. Grace FROST, b. Abt 1740, Frederick County, VA |
| ||4. Maj. Jonathan FROST, b. Between 1745 and 1750, Frederick County, VA d. 13 Dec 1780, SC (Age ~ 35 years)|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||28 Nov 2023 |